Monday, March 8, 2010

Brave?? or stupid??

Yesterday I was searching for some videos on youtube, and got one interesting one. It was a clipping from a Pakistani stunt based reality show. In the show one guy claimed that he can grab a burning red hot piece of coal with bare hands. The host was saying the temperature of that coal will be 600 degree Celsius and keeping that in hand 15 seconds may damage is palm permanently. The boy said he was ready for the consequences. After that he made a comment like “My neighboring country hosts some fear factor kind of reality show and I will prove that, they can’t beat me, no one can as fearless as me. The stunt I will perform, no one from that country would have imagined.” I didn’t find anything wrong in this statement. Here neighboring country means obviously India. If that guy wants to prove himself better than the best of India, there is nothing wrong.
Now coming to the stunt, I had no idea how dangerous that stunt can be and what safety measures they took before performing the task. Because I have seen in all the stunt based reality shows, whatever stunt they perform, some safety measures they always take. So even if the contestant fails to perform the task he/she never gets a major heavy injury. But this guy was beyond all these and took the coal in his hand for 15 seconds. As a result his hand was severely burnt and he was hospitalized. In the hospital he made one more statement which made me very irritated. He said “No Indian can perform this task”. I admired his previous comment because it was natural instinct of people to prove himself best, but when he made the second comment, on that time I have seen the stunt. With the context of the stunt I must say it was the most stupid thing I have ever seen. I don’t think based on his this performance he can claim his superiority. That guy thinks stunt means doing something daring and the more you hurt yourself the more the stunt will be successful. But if you hurt yourself what is the significance of technique in doing stunt. If you hurt yourself badly in stunt, that means you failed in it. Somebody may question me on this “what is the daring part of performing any task knowing nothing will happen to you as all safety measures have been taken?” Well, what I feel is, your safety precautions can give you confidence that nothing will happen, but it can’t help you in doing the task properly.
But I can understand why that guy selected this task. They are stupid; their definition of bravery is altogether different. They don’t have right culture to distinguish between good and bad. We Indians are not stupid that we are going to perform some task which might harm us badly. I have seen people in Bengal jumping on sword, knives and many other sharp tools in some occasion. But in spite of doing these, they never hurt themselves badly. They have the right technique to perform it. Don’t you thing they are brave enough. I would say brave and matured.
People of my neighboring country are not matured enough and that is why they can’t choose the good thing always.
The story doesn’t end here. These small things can show how extremist people are there. Destruction, violence, unrest, humiliation, all these are there in their culture. That is how you find so terrorism activities there. If a college going boy can burn his hand to show his bravery certainly some day he might not hesitate to kill himself by becoming a suicide bomber.
I don’t know when they will learn what is the meaning of peace and how to gaining something without harming anyone. They should stop encouraging these activities immediately. I don’t think that day is there in future.

No comments: