Monday, September 15, 2008

An evening in Disha

This Saturday I experienced a different angle of life which was out of my daily schedule and I will remember this for my entire life. My elder sister is also in Pune working for Syntel. On Friday night she told me that next day evening she will be going to attend an activity called Disha formed by her colleagues for teaching some children and this is a part of their organizational level event SPrayas. They teach those children who can not afford to go to school for their financial condition as well as availability of a proper school. The nearest municipality school is three km away.
On that day I went there with my sister. The exact location was a slum near Bhelchowk in Nigdi. There they already had a group who are working for this, Abhishekh, Sania, Praveen, Mallikarjun, Niraj, Ruchi, Prem and some more. I just joined them. When we were entering into the slum the children welcome us with shake hand. When I realized that they were doing this not just for a manner or a good gesture which they learned, they were doing this from bottom of their heart, I was really overwhelmed. Children are always copycat, what they asked to follow they do that. But here I could read the emotion on their little faces, they were really happy to have us within them.
There were children of age group 4-10. When the teaching session started the entire room went alive with roaring sounds of A for Apple.. Apple mane sheb………. B for ………. This magical sound took me to my childhood, to my KG class room. I remember we all used to shout more loudly than all others to prove ourselves better than the others to the teacher. On those early days our respected teachers were God, sometimes more than God for us. Getting a little pat on the back from the teachers used to make us feel proud and there I realized the emotions behind those shake hands which we received in the slum.
We were there almost for two hours. It was really a great experience to teach them. I was not ready, so there was no format of teaching at least from my side. I just shared my General Knowledge with them which might help them. One thing really embarrassed me when they asked me that whether I am coming on to next session or not, because they saw a lot many sir/madam who just came once and never came back again. The day ended again with hand shakes. Each and everyone said bye to us. I came back to my home with a desire to go there again and again. Hats off to those guys, who are organizing these kind of activities.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it was a great experience. The kids were asking for my mobile no again and again, but one of my colleges told me not to give it as they will waste money by calling us. They love or like us that much. I felt so special when they held my hand and requested to go there again for the next day also. I felt, I should not waste my time on weekends by going anywhere else. Rather I will go to them whenever I will get free time. It will give me the feeling to be loved. Their smile is more precious than anything else.

Abhi said...

Thats really nice and inspirational. We should realize our social responsibility and should take our piece of cake.

Keep it up!!!